Friday, March 16, 2018

From hospital rooms to the National Junior Honor Society

What a day...

Mom went into the hospital on Wednesday. Her back pain became unbearable. She needed more help than she could get as an outpatient. The doctor proposed a procedure to help relieve her pain. On day three, the procedure was scheduled for 4:00 p.m.

At 3:00 p.m., I arrived at the hospital for the procedure prep. At 4:00 p.m., we were still waiting. At 4:30 p.m., I walked to the nurse's station to as when Mom would be going down to the operating room. 5:00 p.m. came and went. The orderly came by at 5:45 p.m. to transport Mom down for operating prep.

We talked to the surgical nurse, the surgeon, other doctors and other nurses while waiting for Mom to be wheeled into the operating theater. At 6:30 p.m., Mom looked at me and said, "You have to go or you'll be late."

The girls were being inducted into the National Junior Honor Society at 7:00 p.m. I kissed Mom goodbye, made Steve promise to text me immediately with any news and walked quickly to the car.

I made it to the ceremony with a few minutes to spare. I walked into the room and realized Daddy wasn't there. I forgot that he was waiting at home for me so we could drive together. In this case, it worked out that he hadn't let home yet.

When I arrived I saw lots and lots of flowers. It turned out that parents were bringing flowers to their daughters who were being inducted. When I called Daddy to tell him that I was already at school, I asked him to bring flowers.

Daddy arrived with flowers just as the students walked into the room. I sat with my mobile device in my hand. We really tried to put away our devices for school events. In this case, though I just couldn't do it. Mom was in surgery and I was too worried to put away my device.

The text message that Mom's surgery was successful and she was resting came just the girls walked off the stage. The evening ended with good news all around. It was a great way to end a stressful day.

No comments: