Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Immediate care

I wasn't feeling well the week before our vacation. I told Daddy that I had a lot of sleepless nights and achy days. I thought it was because my allergies were acting up. All I kept hearing was that this was going to be a terrible allergy season, so I figured my sore throat and congestion were allergy-related.

By Tuesday morning I just couldn't take the pain any more. I hardly slept, waking Daddy up at 4:00 a.m. with me. Sure it was Los Angeles time, so it was really 6:00 a.m. at home, but it was still 4:00 a.m. I went to a local immediate care center and handed the receptionist my insurance card.

The doctor did a quick exam and then sat in front of a computer asking questions, typing my responses into the system. He said, "I think it's just a virus." He decided to check my strep test anyway since enough time had passed.

Walking back into the room, he said, "You have strep. I didn't think so, but you do."

Two prescriptions later I walked back into the hotel feeling relieved and annoyed. I was relieved that there was an answer to my painful throat. I was annoyed that I was sick while we were on vacation. Most of all I was happy to think that the medicine was going to make the pain go away.

No comments: