Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The morning after triple overtime


When the Blackhawks were on their way to their first Stanley Cup in my lifetime in 2010, I stayed up for every playoff game. I figured I might not have another chance to enjoy such a deep playoff run, so I better go on the entire ride. When the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, I was thrilled as we were able to watch the final game with my Dad, who taught us to love hockey.

From that season, my dedication to playoff games has shifted due to the amazing playoff success the Hawks have amassed this decade. Now I'm more likely to take the time and my next day schedule into account when deciding whether or not to watch a game to the end. This is especially true when the game goes into overtime. This playoff season the Hawks have gone to overtime during several games. I haven't stayed up for those. My new rule is that I'm not losing sleep until we're in the Western Conference Championship or the Stanley Cup Finals.


Last night, though, tested my hockey stamina. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Anaheim Ducks in a triple overtime game. It was the longest playoff game in Chicago Blackhawk's history. It ended just after 1:00 a.m.

There were a couple of times I looked at the clock and thought I really should go to sleep. It was a weekday after all. I had to get up at a reasonable hour to get the girls to school, walk Holly and log on to work. It wasn't as if I could sleep in after a long night listening to the hockey game.

Still, I hung in there with the team, knowing that this was an historic game. Our goalie, Corey Crawford, stopped a record number of shots on goal. The team broke a franchise record for the longest game. This was the kind of game people will talk about for decades.

This morning it was tough to get out of bed. I admit to being a bit slower than normal, even with all the extra caffeine in my system. What gets me through the sleepiness is remembering that we won. There's not much that a thrilling victory won't cure.

No comments: