Thursday, December 4, 2014

Yes you are going to be late

Getting the girls out the door in the morning is an Olympic sport. The brunette twin never wants to get out of bed. The blond twin takes at least 20 minutes to change into the clothes she picked out the night before. It's an exhausting way to start a day.

Earlier this semester I told them that they were now in charge of getting out the door. I wasn't going to yell at them to move faster, remind them of the time or move them along. They wanted to be more responsible and this was a good place to start. I told them I'd make sure they were up at the correct time; they had to take it from there. The experiment has gone pretty well. For the most part they move along with an occasional gentle nudge here and there.

This morning it all fell apart. The girls didn't get downstairs at their normal time. They were overtired and crabby for some reason I couldn't identify. They fought all through breakfast about nothing. They went upstairs to brush their teeth and hair. Twenty minutes later they came downstairs. As soon as she saw the clock, the blond twin started yelling at me. It was 8:10 a.m. We usually walked out the door about 8:00 a.m.

She said, "You didn't tell us what time it was. Now we're going to be late."

I said, "Yes, you are going to be late. Tomorrow maybe you'll watch the clock."

The girls begged me to drive them to school. I reminded them that we walk to school with Holly -- and she was expecting breakfast and a walk. Besides, it was a beautiful morning for a walk.

They were so mad at me. They started listing all the reasons their lateness was my fault. It started with "you're our Mom" and ended with "we're just little girls." They tried to walk really fast, but that's hard with you're walking with a dog who needs to relieve herself along the way.

Given how fast they were walking, I'm guessing they were just on time or barely late for school. I'd also guess that they will move more quickly tomorrow morning. I'm not sure they believed me when I told them I wasn't going to hustle them out of the house anymore -- until today.

1 comment:

Anna Dron said...

Sign of a great mom! Can't wait to take this page out of your book one day.