Friday, October 11, 2013

Three in a bed

The blond twin was mad at me. It's not like that's an unusual occurrence. She's often mad at me for some life destroying infraction or another.

This time she was mad because I told her that Holly was not to sleep on the bed with them. The blond twin told me that Holly -- all by herself and without any encouragement from them by the way -- jumped on the bed the night before. In the blond twin's version, Holly was sleeping on the floor and decided she was lonely so she jumped up on their bed.

I didn't say anything at first. I just looked at her and sighed. First of all, the girls sleep together in a double bed on the weekends. There's hardly room for the two of them. Holly is nearly 70 lbs. When you add her into the bed it's like putting three 4th grade girls in one bed. There's just not enough room.

Second, dogs don't get on the furniture in this house. Holly doesn't go on the couches or chairs. She is certainly not going to start sleeping on the beds.

Yet, as I stood there talking to the blond twin Holly came into the room and jumped on the bed. She was so proud of herself. Her tail was going crazy and she nearly bounced off the bed because she was so excited.

A moment later the poor dog was so confused. I took her by the collar and told her to get off the bed. She stared at the blond twin and got off the bed. I reminded the blond twin that the dog was not to go on the bed.

At bedtime the girls got into bed. Holly stayed on the floor at first, but as soon as I walked out of the room I heard her dog tags jingle. I turned around and Holly was on their bed with them. The girls were telling her to get off the bed, even as they hugged her and petted her. I told Holly to get off the bed.

As I walked out the door, I heard Holly get back on the bed so I helped her off it again. We did this a few times until Holly stayed on the floor -- at least long enough for me to get down the stairs. When I went in to check on the girls before going to bed Holly was back on the bed. I dragged her off again, but I'm not sure I'm winning the battle.

In a couple of years when the girls barely fit on their beds and the dog is still sleeping on their beds they will start to complain about how they need bigger beds. I'll remind them that the bed would be fine if they were sleeping in it by themselves. It's not the same as getting the dog off the bed, but it might be the best I can do as long as they keep inviting her into their beds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Holly probably won't be able to jump into the bed (much less climb the stairs) by the time the girls are too big to have Holly in bed with them. A dog isn't bad to have to snuggle in the winter, but are hot furballs in the summer (that the girls won't want anywhere near them).

We have two old furball girls who we have to block with a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs. They want to come upstairs, but struggle with the stairs... and coming down is just dangerous. One almost slipped and went down on her belly.

JK (running a doggie nursing home now... each of the girls has their own daily pill boxes)