Monday, May 13, 2013

From 100 mph to a special needs dog

Oreo is sick. I mean very, very sick. After a weekend of worrying and medicine and calling friends/family for advice, it's pretty clear that this is not going to end well.

We don't know exactly what happened, but we're pretty certain he had a stroke or whatever the doggie version of a stroke is. My once crazy Husky is a blank slate now. He has no emotion and simply wanders like he cannot figure out what he is supposed to do. My beautiful, full-of-life dog just stares blankly at me when I call his name. It's like he recognizes the word, but doesn't remember what it means.

He has been eating a little and drinking a bit. When I tried to give him a treat this morning he just stared at me like he didn't know what it was. Usually he's bouncing back to the living room rug where he always gets his treats. Today he sniffed it and walked away. An hour later it is still sitting there.

He seems to have lost control of his kidney/bowel functions. He's making messes all over the house. It's not like he's squatting or lifting a leg. He just stands there and it happens. He stands a lot now. He used to go to a spot and plop down. Now he goes to the spot and stands like he cannot remember how to plop down.

Today for the first time he is whimpering a bit. He did it once yesterday and we took him outside thinking he had to go to the bathroom. Now I think it might be a sign that he's in pain.

It's all bad and it all sucks. I've been in tears most of the morning as I realize now how bad his condition really is. We have an appointment with a new vet this afternoon. I hope there is something they can do for him, but I'm not holding out much hope right now.

When we got Oreo I joked that he had ten years in our house. After a long, happy life he would be gone when the girls were out of high school. We'd truly be empty nesters when the girls went to college. We're only two years into his ten years. It's way too soon.

No comments: