Saturday, April 27, 2013

A new version of hat hair

You know how you get hat hair when you wear a winter hat or baseball hat or bike helmet? For some reason this came to mind Friday night as the woman explained how to make my helmet fit my head by turning the knob in the back.

I was standing in the saddle shop wondering if I had lost my mind. I was buying a horseback riding helmet. A week ago I was in the same shop with our girls. They love to ride and take lessons regularly now. You can rent a helmet each lesson for just $1, but you have to sign the waiver that says if you end up with lice the stable is not responsible.

I'll admit that for the first few lessons, I just put a deep conditioner in the girls' hair and rented a helmet. Every time we went home I washed their hair with lice killing shampoo in an effort to prevent any problems. All this and I didn't even know if there was lice present. Just the thought of it made my skin crawl.

When it became clear that the girls would continue to take lessons, we invested in riding helmets. The best part for me is the helmets should fit them for a couple of years. I don't know the last time we bought anything I thought would fit for more than six months.

The girls begged me to take lessons with them. I went horseback riding a while ago and like it, so I agreed. The stable near our house doesn't allow people on trail ride unless they've taken lessons.

This was how I ended up buying a horseback riding helmet. Today was our lesson and I survived. In fact, it was even fun. I'm not sure I'm ready to do much besides walk around the pen yet, though. A new helmet doesn't give me that much confidence.

No comments: