Thursday, February 7, 2013

Creature of habit

Every morning when we get back from walking the girls to school, Oreo drinks his entire water bowl and stands by the patio doors. If I don't get there quickly enough he walks over to me, stares for a bit and then walks back to the patio door.

After a while I check on him to make sure he hasn't wraped his tie-up around the tree or started snacking on the garden. For some reason he likes to eat leaves off the Japanese maple.

This morning I looked out the door and saw his tie-up. He wasn't on it. I opened the patio door in a panic. I walked around the patio in my slippers looking for Oreo.

I didn't see him.

I ran into the house and put on my coat and shoes. I tried to figure out how much of a head start he had on me. When was the last time I saw him? I thought about how mad the girls would be if I had to tell them I lost Oreo. I grabbed my purse, looking for my keys as I went to grab a leash. I mentally planned a route to search for him when I saw on something. It was Oreo.

It turns out I didn't put him outside today. For whatever reason he decided he didn't want to go out. I'm such a creature of habit that it never ocurred to me to look for Oreo in the house. He always goes outside during the day unless I force him to stay inside. I bent down to put him, took off my coat, put away my purse and went back to work. It turns out he can change his patterns, but I cannot. Who is the trained one in this house?

No comments: