Friday, January 11, 2013

Down she goes

We were walking home from school when I put my foot down on the gravel next to the road. There was three or four inch difference between the road and the gravel. I went down. Hard. It wasn't my most graceful moment.

Both girls started crying. Oreo started licking my face. All I kept thinking was "what happened?" I tried to regain my composure when a neighbor driving by stopped and said, "I'll drop off everyone and come back to get you. I'll drive you home." At first I said, "Oh, I think I'm ok." Then I stepped on my foot. I took her up on her offer.

A few minutes later we were all in her car, Oreo tucked between the girls in the back seat. Once we arrived home my ankle and foot really started to hurt. My next call was to Daddy who said, "I'll be on the next train home." By the time he came home my entire left side was hurting. My right knee was skinned, but somehow I didn't rip my jeans. I'll take that as a small victory.

Two days have gone by and I'm feeling much better. My ankle didn't swell as much as I feared, probably because I spent the first day with ice on my foot and my ankle on a pillow. My wonderful husband walked Oreo yesterday so I didn't have to stand much. I don't have the "you definitely sprained your ankle" bruise I've had when I've done this before.

The good news is my left side isn't hurting and my ankle is better. The girls have been my ladies-in-waiting for the past few days. Daddy walked Oreo and took care of the girls while I was elevating my ankle and taking pain killers. It wasn't the way I thought we'd spend the past few days, but all is well in the end.

No comments: