Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Murphy's Morning Law

One thing I now know as a parent is that Murphy's Law (anything that can go wrong will go wrong) is most likely to happen as you are trying to get out the door.  I find this kicks in many, many mornings.  Today was the perfect example.

The girls were messing around and not listening.  I kept saying, "Let's go.  You are going to miss the bus."  Instead of getting ready, they kept giving Oreo more water saying, "He's thirsty."  I replied, "No more.  The dog will drink as much as you give him.  It doesn't mean that he's thirsty."  Of course, they ignored me.

A little later, they were upstairs and I'm yelling up the stairs, "Let's go.  If you miss the bus you will not go to school today."

They finally came down the stairs and remembered they still needed to feed the dog.  They finally fed him and gave him more water.  As they were getting ready to walk out the door, Oreo started peeing in the foyer.  I wanted to get mad at him, but four or five bowls of water will do that to a dog.  The girls started yelling at him, which frightened him.  He started running in a circle on the first floor of our house -- still peeing.

At this point I'm going to lose my mind.  The girls are yelling at the dog and I'm telling them to stop walking in the pee.  They ended up near our front door, so I started throwing things at them.  They needed their coats, boots, hats, gloves, backpacks, etc.  I didn't want them walking through the pee, so I just stood near the stuff and threw it to them.

We finally got out the door, and, of course, missed the bus.  I made them sit on the front porch with Oreo for a few minutes while I cleaned up the mess.  Then I drove them to school.

I realized that I told them they had to stay home if they missed the bus.  When I thought about it, I realized that would be punishment for me, not them.  They only had 1/2 day of school today.  A friend's mom was picking them up from school and taking them straight to her house.  If I made them stay home, I'd have to deal with them crying because they missed the bus and I'd still have to clean up Oreo's mess. 

In the end, it was easier just to send them to school.  We all needed the space from each other. 

2 comments:

Cottongirl7 said...

Sounds like one of those days. Poor Oreo and poor mom. Hope you got some much needed space this afternoon. If it makes you feel any better my little one ate my SD memory card today. :) Must just be the day for it. Tomorrow will be better.

Julie K said...

... and it isn't even a full moon!?! Our little dog got in the bathroom garbage can tonight strewing the contents across the hall and into the family room. Truly disgusting. Did I mention we have covered garbage cans? He figured out how to push the pedal and get in... ugh!