Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Seeds of Doubt are in Place

The girls are at that transition age when princesses and stuffed animals are on the way out, as are other childhood fantasies.  We see notice this more and more during the Christmas season. 

Even though several children have told them that there is no Santa Claus (GASP), the girls refuse to believe them.  The brunette twin has started questioning things that she didn't last year.  When we watched the classic show "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," the brunette twin spent a lot of time saying, "Is that true?"  She also asks a lot of logistics questions concerning Santa.  She needs to know how he gets down the chimney since we have a glass enclosure instead of standard, opening fireplace doors.  She alternates between questioning Santa's existence and defending him. 

The girls are already moving beyond princesses and fairy tales.  They started waivering on the princesses around Halloween.  The blond twin was so excited to be Belle for Halloween until the day she came home from school in tears.  The other girls made fun of her costume by saying, "Princesses are for babies."  The blond twin came home just so sad about her costume.  Since then, the girls have gone back and forth about whether or not princesses are for babies.

Now we're questioning everything magical about Christmas.  It's a downward slope from here.  First we question it, then we start putting all the pieces together, then we're out of the little girl innocence and into the tween years.

I see where this is going and I don't like it. 

4 comments:

dcr said...

Christmas will ALWAYS be magical when you have actual SNOW and icicles! I'm sure you will figure it out.

I had to tell my older daughter about Santa when she was 12 and headed to middle school--I didn't want her to be embarrassed by mean kids...that was an interesting conversation!

Cottongirl7 said...

Awwwwwe. I'm not looking forward to this time at all. Granted I still have a few years, but it seems like kids are losing the magic of childhood and imagination earlier and earlier. Of course, I think every generation says that about the next one. Kids at school can be so cruel sometimes. Good luck with all the questions and getting throught this time of disbelief.

Noelle said...

My daughter heard her first "Santa isn't real!" from a neighbor boy the other day. Fortunately I was there to deflect it, since I'm not ready for the magic to be over for her. I've always told her "Santa's magic is in your heart," mostly so it doesn't creep her out that there's some strange dude sneaking into our house once a year :) She's almost six (so hard to write that!) so I know the questions are going to start coming soon. Doesn't it just KILL you, though, that 7 year olds are saying princesses are for babies? I remember a couple of years ago when a friend of ours moved, her daughter was 5 at the time, two years older than mine, and she gave away all of her princess costumes. When my friend told me that kids were teasing her daughter for still playing dress up, I just couldn't get over the shock. I mean, they're still babies! I don't like them growing up so fast :(

Kamryn said...

Nice! Have a pleasant holiday shopping season.