Saturday, December 11, 2010

Breaking the Black Clothing Barrier

Since the girls were little, I had a simple clothing rule.  They don't wear black clothing.  I don't put them in black shirts, pants, skirts, dresses or coats.  I figure that they will spend their teenage years and beyond wearing black, so while they are children they should wear lots and lots of color.

If you think about it, babies and children are the only ones who can wear bright pink, orange and green summer outfits.  When children wear a crazy mix of bright colors, people think it's cute.  When you get to be a teen or older, you look like you cannot match your outfits. 

I've taken that idea from concept to implementation.  I put them in the most colorful, brightest, craziest outfits possible.  They wear bright sunshine colors in the summer and jewel-tones in the winter.  They are always eye-catching.

This week, we're breaking the black clothing barrier.  I bought the girls a black shirt and black pants for the church Christmas pageant.  It's crazy, I know.  For theatrical production celebrating the birth of the light of many lives, our girls are wearing black.

The incredibly talented man who creates our church pageant is producing a puppet show this year.  The kids are creating puppets, so they will be puppeteers.  As puppeteers, they will wear black.  It's as good a reason as any to break the black clothing barrier.   

It had to happen sooner or later. I'm just glad it's a one time pageant so I can try to hang on to the bright is better clothing theory for as long as possible.

No comments: