Friday, November 12, 2010

And the winner is...

The blond twin came off the bus with a huge smile on her face.  She said, "Mom, guess what?  I won second place in a coloring contest.  And, I got a trophy."

The brunette twin was not smiling.  She started crying and said, "It's not fair.  Why can't I win a trophy too?"

We knew this day was coming.  As much as we try to avoid competition between the girls, it's growing in a lot of ways.  This is a reality check for all of us.

We always tell the girls that they cannot both be good at everything.  One of them is better at math and the other better at spelling.  One walked first and the other ate real food first.  We try to make sure they know that they each have their strengths, which is all well and good until there is a trophy involved.

We're still celebrating the blond twin's trophy.  She is so proud of it she can hardly stop smiling.  Her sister has come around a bit, but she's still jealous. 

As for their parents?  Well, we're just dreading the days to come when the competitions won't be about coloring contests, but about things much more serious to the girls like making a team or winning a college scholarship.  Those are the competitions we really dread.

3 comments:

Cottongirl7 said...

Good luck! I've worried about the whole competition thing too. As good as it can be to have a little nudge to do your best, it also can be so hard for little ones when it just seem so unfair. I just hope they don't ever compete for the same guy in highschool. I have no game plan for that. Ug!

Julie K said...

At least you're not running out to buy a trophy for the brunette. She can win a trophy... it just might not be now or for the same reason the blond wins one. These days, kids get trophies for just participating on teams or whatever... when I was a kid you had to earn a trophy (one team got the top team trophy at the end of a season). I don't think that's a bad thing. I have one trophy from grade school... a hard won one for grades (which I still have). It really meant something - I had to work hard for it. My son has several trophies from being on various sports teams. Do they help his self-esteem? I doubt it, but he likes them. I also doubt they will mean much in a few years. I am hopeful he'll have the opportunity to really earn a trophy (and I'm good if he tries his best and doesn't win one). It won't be 'fun' if/when he doesn't win, but life lessons that are really meaningful rarely are 'fun'.

Tracey - Just Another Mommy Blog said...

Or friends or boyfriends. Yikes. Those are fun fights. I had 2 sisters and there were some tough times back then.