Friday, October 8, 2010

No Commenting Allowed

The girls are in a Daisy Troop at their school.  There are 16 girls from 12 different families involved.  For the last meeting, they asked for volunteers to help with a craft.  Three mothers showed up to help.  In addition to the three co-leaders, this made for a grand total of six adults to help 16 girls.

I'm not going to complain about the lack of parental participation.  It's a road to nowhere.  Some parents just aren't going to take the time to volunteer.  Yeah, yeah, I know they are busy.  It's a good thing none of us are busy.  We're just sitting around eating bon bons and getting manicures. 

My problem was that several parents made snippy comments when they came to pick up their girls.  They walked over to the table where we were finishing the craft and sarcastically said things like, "Looks like fun" or "How did you get stuck with that?" 

Really?  Here's the deal from now on.  If you are not willing to spend the time to help, then you cannot make rude comments to those of us who do help.  The next time someone who couldn't take the time out of her busy schedule to help makes a sarcastic comment, I reserve the right to say something equally sarcastic back.  It's part of the deal.  You don't get to be condescending and sarcastic to those of us volunteering to help your children.

2 comments:

dcr said...

sorry you got dumped on but it's good to hear that there are people around with worse manners than me! (at least i TRY to be nice, it just doesn't always work!) thanks for volunteering, shari!

Noelle said...

It drives me nuts when parents complain but don't do anything to help! But I won't rant here on your blog, I'll do it on my own :)

I'm starting a daisy troop (my training is tomorrow night in fact). I'm keeping the troop small, mostly friends, and enlisting as many of the parents as I can to be co-leaders! Too many cooks, maybe, but at least it won't end up being an hour of free babysitting which, sadly, I think too many parents think extracurricular activities are.