Sunday, September 26, 2010

Getting into dog training school is harder than we thought

Oreo is a pretty good dog, but it's clear he's never had any training.  We're working with him every day.  Still, several people recommended we take him to a dog obedience class.  It sounded like a good idea, so we went in search of a class.

In my head, I called a few places, found the class that best fit our schedule, and signed up.  In reality, I spent four hours on the phone talking to everyone from pet store chains to private trainers.  None of those conversations went as well as I had planned.  It turns out that getting your dog into a training class is a bit harder than we thought.

Two different pet store chains had openings.  One was for a 3:00 p.m. class on Fridays.  The other was for 9:00 a.m. on Tuesdays.  Both of those dates/times would work if I didn't have to get the girls to and from the school bus.  All of the times I could make were booked through January.

Several private facilities had openings at satellite locations.  One didn't have anything at the Oak Lawn training center, but did have one in Naperville at 6:00 p.m.  While I am available, it would take at least 90 minutes for me to get to Naperville during rush hour.  Since the class is only 45 minutes long, it didn't seem like a good use of my time.

Local park districts with classes were either full or not running.  For some strange reason, either the classes were full or there were not enough people interested to run the class.

I started asking everyone I know where they trained their dogs.  I made many calls to those people without a decent match either.

Several people recommended trainers who come to your house, which ended up costing $100 or more per hour.  I want to train the dog, but I'm not desparate enough to spend that kind of money quite yet.

In the end we found an area training center with a class starting October 20.  It starts late, which will make for a long day.  We're just happy to be in a class at this point.  Until then, we'll continue to work with Oreo at home. 

1 comment:

Noelle said...

If I didn't know better I'd think you were trying to get your dog into a charter school in Utah. Cause it's that much of a pain!