Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Six Hours and Counting...

Since the day the girls started preschool, people said, "just wait until they are in school for a full day."  It was like that was a day for celebration.  Well, we're done waiting.  Today is their first day of first grade.  The girls leave for school at 8:30 a.m. and return at 3:30 p.m.

I always thought I'd be relieved when this day came, but I'm a little sad.  I don't want the girls to be gone all day.  I like the half day schedule that gives us all some space in the morning and lets us spend the afternoon together.

I wasn't sad when they started preschool.  I'm sure there were bets about when I'd cry the first day we took them to preschool.  It's well-known that I cry at commercials, so leaving our girls at preschool should have been a prime crying opportunity, but it wasn't.  I was happy they were going to school.  They were completely ready and it was a fabulous preschool on a children's farm.  Who can be sad about that?

This is different.  Even though they are going to a school we like and have a teacher who we hear good things about, this is the first time someone else will be caring for our girls for nearly the whole day.

This means someone else gets to celebrate their success and protect them from pain.  Someone else gets to help them when they need help and watch as they learn new things. 

They are so excited about first grade.  They bubbled from the time they rolled out of bed until the bus arrived.  They didn't even look back to wave goodbye as they boarded the bus.  They couldn't wait to see their friends.  They are big girls, going to school all day and taking their lunches. 

I stood there staring for a minute when the bus drove away.  It wasn't until that moment that it really hit me that they would be gone all day.  It's like they have a whole life we only hear about through stories.  They are only six.  I'm not ready for that leap yet. 

1 comment:

Noelle said...

I know, I know! Our babies need to stay ours just a little bit longer. My daughter's been going to preschool for 2.5 years and I never had a problem. But this year, dropping her off at kindergarten? So hard for my heart. She's still only in school for half a day, I don't know how I'm going to handle her being gone all day next year! I guess I'll check in here to see how you're making it through the year!