Sunday, August 15, 2010

I want to go back to school

This is my favorite time of the year. Even during the time between graduate school and children, when I had no reason to do so, I always marked back to school on my calendar. I was one of those kids who couldn’t wait to go to school and didn’t want to leave. Each new school year was filled with possibilities — new things to learn, new adventures and new friends. I have the master’s degree to prove I didn’t want to leave school.

Instead real life intervened and now I live my school excitement through our girls. They are nearly ready for school. We’ve sorted out the too small clothes and bought enough in the next size to get them through Christmas. They have new snow boots, winter coats, hats, mittens and snow suits. We’re set with shoes, raincoats, umbrellas and fall jackets.

They are taking lunches to school for the first time this year. They also have to bring a morning snack. We have insulated lunch bags and lots of plastic storage containers. We have small water bottles for lemonade or juice. We’ve been working out lunch menus and snack ideas.

This week we’ll go supply shopping. The school just sent the list home, so we’re finally ready to get it done.

The funny thing is that more than once I’ve wished I was the one to go back to school. It would be so great to have so much uninterrupted time to just learn and be with your friends. How perfect would the day be knowing that the biggest problem of the day would be whether to do homework before or after playing outside?

Instead, I’ll have to live in the real world where work, bills, cars and houses take up so much time. Still, I can send them to school and encourage the same love of learning that I have. I can only hope it sticks with them the way is has with me.

This is an original post of The Chicago Moms.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Great post!

I didn't know I was behind on getting C ready for school until I read the list of your accomplishments.... LOL

You go girl! :)

Julie K said...

You CAN go back to school... think adult education classes at your local community college, park district or library. I love to learn too and although not looking for another graduate degree, I've enjoyed learning Photography and Flower arranging (to name a few). The list is long of other classes I want to try.