Thursday, July 8, 2010

She has a what?

The brunette twin has been complaining about her teeth, so I took her to the dentist this morning.  He examined her and said, "She has a canker sore."

I said, "A what?"  I mean I've heard of canker sores, but I had no idea what one looked like.  He showed it to me and said it would heal by itself in a few days. 

I said, "How does someone get a canker sore?"

He replied, "Usually it's stress or she's run down."  And, the best news?  Canker sores reoccur. 

Huh?  She's six.  What kind of stress does a six-year-old who plays all day have?  She's run down?  Really?  With her nearly vegetarian diet, daily multi-vitamin and 10 - 12 hours of sleep each night?  I'd like to be that stressed and run down.

I thanked him for the good news that she didn't have a cavity and we left.  I couldn't help but feel that it would have been better if it was a small cavity.  If I'm going to feel like the Mom of the Year, I think I'd rather it be because she was eating too much chocolate than she was stressed and run down.  In the first case we spoil her with too many treats. In the second, it sounds like we're overworking her and withholding healthy food. 

Of course, as soon as we left the dentist's office, the blond twin started complaining that her mouth hurt too.  If the brunette twin has a canker sore, the blond twin was determined to have one too.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

I've never heard of canker sores being caused by stress or anything like that! I thought they were just some sort of infection. Weird...

becky said...

I've gotten them ever since I was that small, too. I tend to get them if I eat a lot of spicy or acidic food. Sometimes they appear where I've bitten my lip or cheek. And if you take the amino acid L-Lysine, they seem to go away much faster (usually takes almost 2 wks to completely go away) as it promotes healing.