Saturday, July 17, 2010

Moving Up and Moving On...

The past couple of weeks, I've been busy with one of my favorite activities -- shopping clearance sales.  I've ordered summer clothes for next year from some of my favorite stores.  Since the girls are moving into a size 10, I ordered most summer clothes in a size 12.  I have some size 10 clothes already, so I went for the next size.  It's possible they will be in a 10 next summer, but not likely.

When I ordered the clothes, I had a rude awakening.  The girls are outgrowing some of my favorite clothing brands already.

One of the brands only goes to size 10.  As I ordered a few things, I realized we're just done there.  It's a shame because I really like Naartjie clothing. It's well-made and just different enough that you don't see everyone wearing it.  They make a few, adorable lines each year.  We've done very well with their sales.  Now we're done with the entire brand.

I just had the same experience with the Gymboree.  Their clothes go up to a size 12.  It's possible we'll get one more year out of them, but only for the blond twin.  The brunette twin is already in a size 10.  I doubt she'll stay in size 12 clothes for two years.  I always do well with the basics at Gymboree.  Their clearance sales tend to have the smaller sizes available, but when something larger is available, it's always a good price.

My other favorite children's clothing lines go up to 14 or higher, so we're okay there.  It's just another transition for me to make.  The girls won't notice the difference.  All they know is every time they outgrow clothes, we go into the basement to find new ones in the right sizes.  For me, though, I need to find a new online site with the right sizes and great clearance sales.  Otherwise -- gasp, gasp -- we might need to start shopping at the stores in the mall.

3 comments:

Julie K said...

I don't even shop online... it's garage sales for the majority of my son's clothes. Ususally find unique items (read as "no longer sold or in the stores"). I avoid the Mall like the plague.

Tracey - Just Another Mommy Blog said...

It's difficult when your child is above the size that manufacturers believe is the "right" one for their age. The Children's Place seems to have size 14-16 in SOME of their lines and the major department stores tend to have bigger variety in their "junior" sections. You'll just have to be choosier on what is appropriate, I guess. Good luck. My daughter is 4 and is wearing a 6/7 so I know that I will also have this problem in a few years...

Noelle said...

We should do a shop and swap, lol. Our local Gymboree clearance rack never has anything in my daughter's size (5s and 6s) on the rack but there's always a good amount of larger sizes.