Saturday, July 10, 2010

Competitive Swimming

The girls aren't taking swim lessons this year.  They can swim well enough that we decided they didn't need any more formal lessons.  Any child who happily goes down the tall slide at the water park and swims out of 12+ foot deep water is just fine in my book.

Not in theirs, though.  They've decided they want to take swim lessons again.  Why?  Well, a friend is in swim lessons.  He just moved from Level 2 to Level 3.  This is a source of great annoyance for the girls.  When they left swim lessons, they were in Level 2.

I keep trying to tell them it doesn't matter what level they were at the last time they took swim lessons.  I keep trying to tell them that if they continued with swim lessons, they would be in Level 3.  They don't want to hear about it. 

All they want to do is go back to swim lessons and get to Level 3.  This is not going to happen for lots of reasons.   

What we are doing is letting the kids all swim together.  This seems to make the girls happy.  They realize they all swim at about the same level.  They all swim in deep water like fish.  Still, the girls spend a lot of time comparing their swimming skills with their buddy. 

I told them they can change the way they talk about their swim lessons.  They can say, "We don't take swim lessons anymore.  We stopped at Level 2."  This seems to make them feel better, although I heard them tell him, "If we were in swim lessons, we'd be in Level 3 too."

2 comments:

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicki said...

I never quite liked the "level" system for swimming... you can actually FLUNK! (I was terrified of water when I was a kid, and I flunked Level One every year because I refused to jump off the diving board!)