Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Finally, Summer Vacation

I realize this is counter intuitive, but I'm really happy that the school year is done.  I like that the girls didn't have to rush to the bus this morning.  I like that they won't have homework tonight.  I even like that they are home with me today.

I know I'm supposed to fret about losing my "me time" and how to keep them busy this summer.  First, I'm the mother of twins.  I don't have any "me time" right now -- and it's okay.  In a couple of years they will be too busy to bother with me.  I'll have plenty of "me time" then.  Also, I work from home, so when they are in school, I'm working.  It's not like I was shopping and getting my nails done while they were in school.

I know they will be busy because we have them scheduled for a couple of summer day camps.  Each one only lasts a week, but between those camps, library programs and play dates, they will be busy with a mix of activities.  Of course, we'll also watch the nephews play baseball whenever we can.

On the flip side, I'm feeling a bit of summer pressure.  The girls start first grade in ten weeks.  We have to fit all our summer fun in the next ten weeks.  I think we're up to it.  Let the countdown begin...

5 comments:

Janna said...

Get a good camera, sunscreen, and water bottle and enjoy!

noelle said...

I decided to leave this summer--between preschool and kindergarten--open and carefree. I thought I'd give my daughter a little respite before breaking the news that after 2.5 years of preschool she still has 19 years of school before she graduates with a master's degree! lol, poor kid, the fun is just beginning!

Hope you and your girls have a fabulous, fun-filled summer.

Kim Moldofsky said...

I'm always happy to school (and homework battles) to end, but also generally happy when it starts up again because we all need to structure. With older kids--10 and 12-this may be the last summer I truly have to enjoy with both of them, so I hope it's a good one for us--and you. Have fun!

Rachel said...

Isn't it amazing how the summer can just zip by? I am gonna enjoy the days that she can play outside all day and I can stay in my p.j.'s all day. Hmmm... might even save some money by not having to drive somewhere everyday.

Enjoy your summer!

Nicki said...

I agree with you! I'm kind of excited for the summer too... it means we can do a lot of cool stuff, without having to worry about who has homework, who has early dismissal, etc. And I actually get MORE "me" time when the big kids are out of school, because then Pufferfish plays with them and I can zone out a little and read, or whatever, while they play. If its just Pufferfish during the day, I have to constantly be trying to entertain her!