Tuesday, May 4, 2010

We're Officially a Radio Disney Family

The girls are in an in-between stage where they are too old for the Wiggles, Taylor Swift is cool, and most of the other music is too old for them.  They are listening to the radio more closely now, though, so I have to monitor what they hear.


This is a big problem when it comes to morning radio.  A lot of the songs are okay, but the disc jockey chatter leaves something to be desired.  I realize the six year olds are not their target market, yet I would think they'd know that parents with children might be listening to the radio.


We discovered Radio Disney when we were shopping recently.  Near the checkout counter, there was a rack with compliation compact discs.  I picked up one and the girls were so excited.  They knew all the artists from talking with friends at school.


The music is fine for them.  The lyrics are innocent enough -- after all it is Disney.  The girls learned all the lyrics quickly and sing all the songs now.  We'll pick up another CD or two the next time we're inthe store.

The big move to Radio Disney as our official radio station came this week.  The brunette twin asked me about something the disc jockey said.  I realized then that we just couldn't listen to local radio anymore.  It's not bad in the afternoon or evening, but morning radio was out.

My biggest complaint about Radio Disney is that it is on AM radio.  It's like going back in time.  Our wonderful surround sound is completely missing.  I feel like I'm back in my childhood when I'd listen to the portable radio.

The girls are happy with the music and I'm happy with the content.  I miss the local news updates, but I'm usually working on the computer, so I can look at the online newspapers for weather and news.  For now, we're a Radio Disney family.

2 comments:

Janna said...

I had no idea they had a station. Sounds interesting.

Oh! and yes, rotating books and toys is a lifesaver!

Trooper Thorn said...

Or you could listen to your local country music station. Country DJ's are always appropriate and the music celebrates America, children, God, sunshine, trucks, hurtin', beer and America again.

Now what's wrong with that?