Monday, February 22, 2010

Thanks AT&T, I Needed Something to do Today

Like many people, I have more than one email address.  My AT&T address is the same one I've had for more than 15 years now.  To help you understand how long I've been a customer, my email address is the same as my initials.  If you don't think that's amazing, go to any email service and try to do that now.  It's not possible.  You end up with some combination of your initials and random numbers/letters.  Yes, I was one of the first AT&T Worldnet customers.

So, imagine my surprise today when I received a pop-up window announcing that I needed to take action on my account as AT&T is eliminating my Worldnet service.  Now, most companies would have put a link to the site where you need to take action, but not AT&T.  Instead, the pop-up said, "Refer to the email previously sent."

Huh?  If I had received an email about this, I'm pretty sure I would have paid attention.

The only option I received was to call AT&T for assistance. 

I've now been on hold for more than 100 minutes.  Oh, I know the computer generated voice told me it would only be 60 minutes, but hey, what's another 40+ minutes in my day?  It's not like I have anything else to do.  Of course, since I haven't spoken to a customer service representative, I don't know how long it will be really.

So, what do I do now?  I'm 100 minutes into this mess.  Do I hang up and try again later?  It's an option, but there's no guarantee that later will be any quicker.  Do I hang on until the phone battery dies?  It's a possibility.  I do know that I need to pick-up the girls from the bus in 1/2 hour so I definitely need to be off the phone before that. 

What I do know is the message loop keeps talking about an email request to fill out an online survey regarding the AT&T experience.  I cannot wait to fill that out.  Believe me, I have plenty of comments to share about their "customer service."

3 comments:

Marketing Mommy said...

You could try tweeting while on hold. I've had pretty good luck with customer service reps on Twitter.

The Snake's Mommy said...

Great rant. I agree with you re disaster of customer relations. I joined AT&T back when you did. I never got the alleged email either.

Go here: This is what I followed and it appeared to work but none of us will know till the switchover date. I have concerns.

http://help.att.net/migration.html

Shari said...

Thank you both. I'll try both ideas.