Saturday, February 6, 2010

Leftover Candy Canes

There are many times that I miss their farm preschool.  I miss driving up to see the horses in the pen.  I miss watching the season's change on the farm.  I miss hearing their stories about the new baby animals.

At this time of the year, I really miss feeding the horses' candy canes.  We still have all these candy canes from Christmas.  They are in bowls in the pantry.  I let the girls eat one here and there, but we had a lot, lot, lot of candy canes.

In the past this wasn't a problem.  About a week after Christmas break, the preschool would send a note home asking for leftover candy canes as a special treat for the horses.  It was great.  I could get rid of all the candy canes to give the horses a treat.

Now I just throw out all the candy canes as they break or whenever I need a plastic bowl.  I've been known to toss them just to get the plastic bowl back.

It's not as much fun as giving them to the horses though.  Getting rid of the candy canes that way always felt like we were doing a good deed.   Next year I'm going to see if I can donate the candy canes.  After all, it's time to get rid of the Halloween and Christmas candy before the Valentine's Day candy shows up.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Awww I never knew horses liked candy canes!! I would donate my candy canes too!!