Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

Only because really, really nice people stumble upon this blog once in a while did I figure out how to navigate the AT&T Worldnet service change. I followed the directions and links carefully.  I filled out each box and checked the box to accept the terms.  And then this message appeared:  We're sorry.  You're account is not eligible for migration at this time.

Sigh...

If I thought I was frustrated before, I didn't know what was coming.  I did manage to have an online chat with an AT&T representative who typed the encouraging words, "We haven't seen that error message before."

Suddenly, an AT&T supervisor called.  Yes, they called me.  I knew it was a big problem when the very nice man kept saying, "Let me talk to some other people and call you back."  I spoke with him five or six times in an hour.  Before we hung up for the last time, I asked him what happens on March 31 if they cannot fix the problem.  He replied, "Oh, don't think so negatively.  We have time to work on it."  I know he meant well.  I know he is really trying.  The problem is I didn't get a good feeling about the eventual outcome.

I thought about it for a little while and decided I couldn't wait to see what happens.  I changed my email address last night.  It's going to sound petty, but I'm a bit sad about giving up my email address.  I've had the same email address for 15 years, which is a lifetime in the IT world.  I've changed phone numbers more often than I've changed email addresses.

Of course, this is the problem isn't it?  I have had my email address for 15 years.  It's in so many places it will take me weeks to make the change over.  If I woke up one day and my email box was gone, I'd be totally screwed.  Yes, I do have some stuff in other places, but not enough of it.

Last night I started the process.  I sent an email to everyone giving them my new email address.  I spent a while trying to change my email address wherever I could.  If you think about it, your email address is probably hundreds of places.  Some you use regularly and others you only use once or twice a year.

It will take a full month before I can change my email address and even then I'm sure I'll forget some places.  It's just the reality of the situation.

If there is a bright spot to this entire situation, it's that I'm currently out of business cards.  Ordering new business cards is on my to-do list for this week.  At least now I'll be able to put my new email address on them.

4 comments:

Tracey - Just Another Mommy Blog said...

I understand. My email has been the same (though ridiculous and embarrassing) for over a decade. It HAS changed as far as who services us, but that's pretty easy to send to people. Good luck.

Adventure Mom Janna said...

I really appreciate your comments on my blog. It's good to hear about other moms who are committed to helping their children learn to get along and love each other their whole lives.

I know what you mean about the email. I've been having a horrible time with junk email but I just can't imagine switching everything over.

The Snake's Mommy said...

I did a trial. I sent a change of email addy to 5 colleagues who email me daily. All of them smart degreed professionals. Not one of them actually fixed their address books. That day, half wrote me back at the wrong address. The next day, they were all using the wrong address.

I have another problem, which is that I'm penpals with a bunch of celebrities. They have never initiated contact, but, they might. But if I email them a change of address, that has an undertone of arrogance to it, to me. An assumption that I ought to be in their address books. I'm not comfortable with that. So, I think, I'm doomed to hope that AT&T will transition me flawlessly. Otherwise, April 1 ... oh, sure, that's just a great day for emailing people. April 2... I'll be emailing the hundreds and hundreds of acquaintances I've made in 15 years. Ugh.

Missy said...

Ugh what a pain. We broke up with AT&T a few years ago. We had our number unlisted because at the time I was working with Juvenile Offenders. That cost us $5 a month, which we were willing to pay. What set us (mostly my husband) off was that when we asked to have our number listed again they wanted to charge us $25 to do so. That is when we decided that we could live with just cell phones and switched to cable internet. Hope the pains of transition end soon!