Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Mean Mom's Club

I just finished an ebook called Mean Mom's Club -- The Mom's Rule Book by Maureen LoBue, M.Ed.  It's the kind of handbook I would give to anyone having a baby because it would be a nice reference book on those days when you wonder why you wanted to have children.

We all have those days, don't we?  We thought it would be so wonderful to have children, but then you have those days when you just want to run away and sit on the beach by yourself.  While you know this is normal, Maureen puts it in writing. 

In fact, much of what she puts in writing can be called basic common sense parenting.  It's just that when you're out there with all the other parents who are doing things that just make you scratch your head, it's nice to read The Mom's Rule and remember that the basics never change.

No matter what the current parenting trend, things like safety and security are always most important to children.  She talks extensively about the importance of knowing which developmental stage your child is in and how this affects their actions.  She also states that a parent's goal is to raise a happy, responsible caring person.  The rest is just fluff.  It's nice if your child wins some major award, but it's nicer if they are well-adjusted and happy. 

She has some basic rules, which also happen to be the titles of her chapters.  Read these and tell me which ones sound most like you.

Being a Mom is Going to be so Great!
I'm Going to be the Perfect Mom ... Yeah Right
You'll Always Be My Baby ... No Matter How Old You Are
Common Sense ... Makes Sense
I Brought You Into This World .. And I Can Take You Out
There's a Difference Between Need and Want ... And I'll Tell You Which it is
I Get to be President of the Mean Mom's Club
Noboy Knows My Kid Like I Know My Kid

Right now we're in the "you'll always be my baby" phase.  The brunette twin craves the security and permanence of knowing that she'll always be my baby.  When she does something wrong, she looks at me and says, "Am I still your baby?"  I always tell her that I'm not happy with what she did, but she's still my baby.  She just needs that reassurance. 

I really smiled when reading the book dedication.  When's the last time you said that?  Maureen dedicated the book to her sons because when they were growing up, she used to say, "It's in the Mom's Rule Book."  Now she had the rule book in writing to pass on to them.

I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Great post! I think I have a few of those lines going on here. C is playing baby alot here and it really is driving me crazy! lol

Think I am gonna go check this book out from the library. Hopefully it gives me the insight that it is a phase and it will end.

:)

Jacque said...

I'm going to need to read that. Right now I have a 13 year old that is trying my patience...it is important to know that the separation phase is normal for 13 year olds and hopefully she won't be this hateful forever! I'm hoping she'll soon embrace her inner nerd and return to the precious one she was before...just bigger :) Thanks for the book title...I'll be checking it out!