Friday, December 4, 2009

How Much Medicine?

Remember a few years ago when all the children's cold medications were pulled from the shelves because parents were overmedicating their children?  Today I realized I am on the opposite end of the parenting spectrum.  I just read a bottle of children's pain reliever and realized I've been under-medicating the girls.

For some reason, I am in denial about how tall the girls are and how much they weigh.  They were both recently measured, so it's not like I don't have updated numbers.  It's just that I tend to think of them as being smaller than they are.

No, I don't know why I cannot update their stats in my brain.  Every time I pick up one of the girls, I am well aware of how much they have grown.  And my back routinely punishes me for carrying them more than a step or two.  On a regular basis I marvel at how grown-up they are and how they aren't my babies any more.

Yet, when I give them medicine, my brain reverts back to some number that is five or six pounds less than what they currently weigh.  This can be a big deal if you are trying to break a fever.  The right amount of medicine would help our girls feel better faster.

I think I'll blame it on the medicine bottle.  If the numbers were bigger, then I would look at them more and realize my mistake.  Yeah, that's the problem.  It's not my complete inability to process that the girls are growing up.  It's that the numbers on the bottle are too small.

No comments: