Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Glitter, Glitter Everywhere

You know the big difference between raising boys and girls, especially at this age?  I've decided it's not sports or toys or games.  It's glitter.  Everything the girls do involves glitter -- lots and lots and lots of glitter.  Sometimes it's called fairy dust or angel dust.  It's all the same sparkly stuff.

I admit I'm guilty of encouraging their glitter obsession.  When they wanted to put glitter in their hair for the Father/Daughter dance, I happily pulled out some glitter and hair spray.  When they wanted to go to get their hair done at Disney, they came out with so much green fairy dust in their hair that I kept saying, "I'm glad I don't have to clean those sheets."

Every craft project involves glitter.  A recent park district program called "Glamor Girls" included decorating a purse and creating lip gloss.  When I read the description, I didn't realize this meant "pour as much glitter as possible into the smallest pot of lip gloss."  I'm thinking about saving it for next year's Halloween costume.  It's about the only time I can imagine them wearing purple or pink lip gloss with that much glitter.

I realize glitter is harmless.  It's simple and fun and the girls love it.  The problem is that once it is in your house, no amount of vacuuming or sweeping or dusting can remove it.  If we're going to continue with the glitter craze, I need to figure out how to get it out of our rugs, off the couch, out of the clothing, etc.  Any advice?

3 comments:

Nap Warden said...

No advice, but right there with you. Seems everything Miss Peach does involves glitter!

melanie said...

these are the kinds of things that remind me why i'm fearful about having a THIRD girl. i know boys have their issues but really, how much glitter and how many bows can one household contain?!?!

Jacque said...

lint roller...for any soft surface will work wonders :)