Sunday, December 6, 2009

Divine Back-up

The blond twin is taking what she learns at church very seriously these days. She has decided to talk to God on a regular basis.


The problem is, she’s not talking to God about her hopes and fears. She’s not asking the kinds of deep questions you’d expect of a six-year-old about fairies or monsters or princesses.  She’s asking God for back-up when she thinks she’s in trouble. Here is a perfect example from yesterday morning


Mom: “Blond twin, did you brush your teeth?”

Blond Twin: “Yes.”

Mom: “Did you get the back molars? And do a good job with the front teeth?”

Blond Twin: “Yes.”

Mom: “Are you sure?”

Blond Twin: “Hold on.”


Pause

Blond Twin: “God says I did a good job. My teeth are clean.”

Seriously, how do I respond to that? Do I say “Is God sure?” What’s my comeback here?  She’s done this a few times now and each time I just stop. I don’t want to minimize her conversations with God, but I never thought of God as her back-up.

I’m glad she’s thinking about God, understands that God is important in her daily life and looks for ways to talk to God. I’m just not sure if this is the way her Sunday school teacher envisioned the conversations.

1 comment:

Nap Warden said...

Perhaps suggest that God likes a double check on the back teeth;)