Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gee, Why Didn't We Think of That?

I was at the allergist's office completing my new patient intake.  The doctor asked about all kinds of things, including my sleep habits. She said, "Do you sleep well?  Do you feel rested when you wake up?" 

What did I say?  Well, because I'm not so bright, responded with an honest, "No.  I don't always sleep well."

In an instant I regretted those words.  She started going down the path of "I think you have sleep apnea."  I cut her off by saying, "One of our girls has night terrors.  She is often up at night screaming, so some nights are better than others.  When we do have a night when she's up some or all of the night it takes a few nights before I feel like I am caught up with my sleep."

She talked about night terrors for a few minutes and then she said, "And, be sure not to let her watch anything scary right before she goes to bed."

I stared at her for a minute as she explained why showing a scary movie right before bed to a child with night terrors was a bad idea.  I thought about sarcastically saying, "Golly  gee.  Why didn't we think of that?  You sure are smart."  Instead, I just smiled and nodded. 

Sometimes the thoughts in my head are best left there.

1 comment:

Melinda Moore said...

My niece suffered from those, and I mean suffered. It was pretty scary. I didn't realize how bad they were until I stayed in her room during a visit. She was crying hysterically, and I kept trying to calm her down. A few moments later one of her parents came down and said "She can't hear you." Then I realized that she had no idea I was trying to talk to her. I am glad to say that she has mostly grown out of it by now (she's 9).