Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Twin Stands Alone

I've always wondered what it is like to be a twin.  Even before we had twins, I was fascinated with an aunt and uncle who were twins.  The bond that starts before birth is something I think is nearly sacred.  We work hard to maintain that bond in the face of an overwhelming general opinion that tries to split the bond.  An amazing number of people in various professions and with varying connections to us will comment that we need to start separating the girls to make sure they develop their own personalities. 

A woman who is both a twin and a reporter wrote an interesting book that I need to pick up one of these days.  In One and the Same: My Life as an Identical Twin and What I’ve Learned About Everyone’s Struggle to Be Singular Abigail Pogrebin spent more than two years interviewing 40 sets of twins.  She talks about the tension between going through life with someone who loves you completely and wanting to forge your own identity.  The Newsweek story about her book is called, "A Twin Stands Alone."

She tells a few stories that I hope the girls never have to experience, but she also tells other stories that I can already relate to, so I can only assume when they get older they will relate as well.  Mostly I like that she emphasizes how close the twins are as adults.  No matter how many miles separate the twins or what terrible things happen, they still maintain the twin bond.  There's not much I want more in the world than to see them as close when there are adults as they are today.

No comments: