Monday, October 26, 2009

Daycare as Punishment

My husband was talking to about a little girl who goes to bed at 7:00 p.m. and gets up about 5:30 a.m.  He was trying to figure out that scheduling.  We decided that her parents must work and she went to daycare early -- say 6:30 a.m. or so.

Since it had been a long, whiny day with our over-tired six-year-old girls, my husband looked at them and said, "If we have another day like this one, maybe you two will go to weekend day care."

While I will say that the girls usually understand sarcasm, this was totally lost on them.  On a normal day, they look at him, roll their eyes and say, "Daddy, you're kidding."  Today it didn't work that way.  Both girls looked at each other and then looked at Daddy.  Then they started crying and said, "We'll be good from now on.  Please don't make us go to weekend daycare.  We don't want to go to weekend daycare."

Sigh...

Now we had to fix this situation.  I said, "Daddy, daycare isn't punishment, right?  You don't go to daycare because you are bad, do you?"  My husband said, "Now girls, daycare isn't really bad.  You have friends in daycare right?  It's fun for them."

Sigh...

I don't think they were really convinced, but the crying stopped and we finished dinner.

The problem, of course, is that they do know several classmates who go to daycare after school.  We don't want them to think that daycare is a terrible place.  We don't want them to think their friends are bad because they have to go to daycare.

The blond twin dropped the topic, but the brunette twin didn't.  As she was ready to fall asleep, she said, "Mom, we don't have to go to weekend daycare, right?  Dad was only kidding, right?"

I told her she wasn't going to weekend daycare.  She would stay home with us like normal.  I also told her that if they continued to be whiney, they were going to start taking naps again.  She actually liked this option and said, "As long as I get to sleep in my own bed, I'll take naps for you every day."

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Awww, thats kinda sad! It would definitely be a bummer to go to weekend daycare, if that existed somewhere! But when I was little, I stayed home with my mom, and my brother and I WANTED to go to daycare... We knew those kids had a ton of toys and a big playground over at Poko Loko, and we wanted to be there too! ;)