Friday, September 18, 2009

The First Sleepover Invitation

You know how you know something will happen sooner or later, but you're still not ready with it finally does happen?  I feel that way about a birthday invitation the girls received a couple of days ago.  It was an invitation to a sleepover party.

My first thought was "Who is this party for?"  The birthday girl is in their class, but I have no idea which child she is.  My second thought was "We don't know you.  Why would you invite our girls to spend the night?"

The girls, of course, were thrilled to be invited to a sleepover party.  They spent the walk home from the bus talking about what they would wear, bring, etc.  They wondered if they would be able to paint their fingernails for the party.  They debated which critter to bring.  This presented all kinds of problems.  I hated to crush their excitement, but in this case there is no way we are going to let them spend the night at the home of a family we've never met.

So, being the responsible Mom I am, I immediately called my husband and said, "Can you believe it?  They are only six."  After we talked about it for about 30 seconds, I decided to call the birthday girls' mom.

I explained that the girls would love to come to the party, but we didn't think they'd be sleeping over.  She replied with "I don't know how many girls will spend the night.  T really wanted a sleepover party, so I put that on the invitation.  I don't know all the parents, and you've never met us, so I completely understand not wanting them to spend the night."

Whew, crisis averted.  Her comments made me feel better.  It's good to know other parents have the same concerns that we do.  The girls will go to the party and we'll pick up the two of them before bed time.  All is well.

Now I just wonder what the next "I'm not ready" moment will be.  I'm bracing myself because I'm sure I won't see it coming and I know we won't always have such an easy resolution. 

1 comment:

Julie K said...

I wonder why she just didn't tell her daughter no when she wanted a sleepover party in the first place???