Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weekend Payback

You know the saying "Payback is a b*+ch? Well, every once in a while, we get a live, loud demonstration of that old adage.

This was a fun weekend. Yesterday we went to a party at a lake house in Indiana. Today we went to a nephew's graduation party. Both required a lengthy drive, but we had the DVD player going, so the girls not only had parties, but they had movies. It was a dream for them.

We knew we had back-to-back parties, so we tried to plan for this weekend. The girls were well-rested going into the weekend. While travelling to each event, we required "quiet time." Today they actually slept a while during the drive.

Last night they went to sleep pretty quickly and woke up late this morning. They slept through the night like rocks. We thought we were pretty safe today.

Ha!

This evening the girls both melted down during our attempts to put them to bed. We followed the normal routine. The girls sat on the couch while Daddy read books. We did the same brushing hair, brushing teeth, story, prayer routine we always follow. By this time the girls were whiny, but given the long day, we weren't surprised.

Then it all fell apart.

We aren't quite sure what or how it happened, but it ended with lots of crying and screaming. At one point we closed the windows so the neighbors wouldn't think we were beating the girls.

Yes, it was that bad.

We knew part of the problem was that they fed off each other. My husband took the blond twin into our bedroom and tried to get her to calm down. She was screaming and hyperventilating and wanting to come back to her bedroom with her sister. At one point I actually thought about getting a brown paper bag to see if that would help the blond twin, but I thought that might only make things worse. Then again I wasn't sure it could get worse.

I crawled into bed with the brunette twin who kept whimpering, "I just want my sissy. I'm so lonely without her." She cried because she was so tired that she couldn't do anything else. After a while, she calmed down and stopped crying.

About the same time, the blond twin calmed down and came running into their bedroom. In true drama queen fashion, the blond twin ran right to her sister and said, "Sissy, I love you so much. I missed you."

A few minutes later, both girls were sleeping. My husband and I came down and found some pain killers. After we both downed our pills, I said, "Hey, that was fun."

Given the look I received, I'm not sure he thought I was funny.

3 comments:

Marketing Mommy said...

There must have been something in the air. My 4 1/2 year old had the temper tantrum to end all temper tantrums on Saturday night.

Missy said...

OH my. I have so been there. I feel your pain.

dcr said...

episodes like that are the reason for my favorite saying these days--i'm SO glad my kids are big!

best of luck, shari!