Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer Countdown

Is it me or are the school calendars screwed up these days? Back in the dark ages when I went to school, we started right after Labor Day weekend. School ended the second week in June.

Our school district starts school on August 17. Yes, in three weeks, the girls will be back in school. The school year ends the week after Memorial Day.

Here's my problem with this. We live in Chicago, which means June isn't always very nice. The weather is really unpredictable. This year is was mostly rain and cold.

August, though, can usually be counted on for some really nice, sunny, warm days. The girls will be observing the nice weather from inside a classroom, rather than playing in the back yard. I'd rather they went to school a bit later in June and started after Labor Day.

It isn't that I don't feel like we've done enough this summer. Trust me that we did summer well. In my normal frugal style, we found loads of free things to do from concerts on the grass at a neighboring park district to library shows. We met friends at Millennium Park for a free evening concert and the girls played at every park within a 3 mile radius. They went to camp at Brookfield Zoo, took swim lessons, and went to Farm Camp at their old preschool.

Neither girls would have trouble filling the "what I did on my summer vacation" report. Still, it just feels wrong to be thinking about back-to-school shopping until Labor Day. We have the supply lists and are working on the back-to-school clothing, shoes, coats, etc. In my mind I associate back-to-school with falling leaves, not sunscreen.

It could be that I'm just not ready for them to go back to school. Of course, that's a different problem.

3 comments:

Missy said...

It has been crazy chilly here is KS for the month of July. We went to the Drive-In movie a couple of nights ago and were wrapped up in blankets freezing the entire night. Crazy. Our kids start school on the 13th. Gets earlier every year.

Nicki said...

I know. I know. Jimmy was just saying to me how we have plenty of time to plan a camping trip or something because the kids have a whole month before school starts. I had to explain to him that, even though back in the day school ended at Memorial Day and started up again at Labor Day, the kids go to school now until mid-June and start up again in mid-August. It totally sucks! I'm not READY for summer to end!

pehpot said...

Hello there!

Kindly update your listings/blog rolls/ link list/ blog directories..
pehpot.blogspot.com is now GOSSIP MOM

MAKE OR BREAK
now have its own domain:www.pehpot.com

PLease update your listings and add or change the said blogs.. rest assured that your link/ blog is listed on both blogs..

Thanks a lot and have a great week ahead of you!

Make or Break