Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Advantage of Two

I work from home on a flexible schedule that averages 35 hours a week. When people hear this, they say, "How can you do that? I could never do it with my kids at home."

This is where one of the advantages of twins kicks in. With two children of the same age, their interests are similar. They can keep each other occupied for hours on end.

One of the reasons I went out to look for a new work project was that a couple of years ago the girls started playing in their bedroom with the door closed. For a while this amused me greatly. Since I wasn't spending all day taking care of them like I used to in the bottles/baby food/diapers phase, I found myself with a lot of free time. I relished the quiet time and used it to do all the things I always said I would do if I had the time. I cleaned out the closets. I made real dinners. I caught up on magazines. And, then, I was bored.

Happily, I was able to fill it with a project that pays me to work from home. I'm lucky that the girls are willing to help with my work. I always tell them that Mommy works so they can take ballet, ice skating, etc. They understand the connection between my work calls and time on the computer and their activities.

I try to schedule conference calls while they are in school. If that doesn't work, I'll tell them they have to stay in their room and play. Once in a while I'll let them watch TV during a call. This always keeps them quiet because I don't normally let them watch TV. Once it is turned on, they stare at the screen. Sometimes I wonder if they are still breathing when the TV is on.

There are lots of wonderful things about twins, but I have to say the ability for them to keep each other busy is my favorite right now. I love hearing them play together and I appreciate how it helps me stay employed at home.

No comments: