Thursday, May 28, 2009

Never Fast Enough

The blond twin loves roller coasters. She gazes at the really high, fast thrill rides with a longing only another roller coaster fan would understand. She wants nothing more than to go on the highest, fastest roller coaster in any theme park.

We've known this ever since she went on her first little coaster at Storybookland in New Jersey. She sat in the back car, with her cousin Maddie, and laughed the whole time. Maddie taught her to ride with her hands in the air. Since then she hasn't looked back.

She's been on several mid-sized roller coasters, like Thunder Mountain at Disney World. These tend to be fast, with lots of twists and turns. She loved every one.

This trip, we went back to Busch Gardens. She rode Cheetah Chase with her Gram and Great-Aunt Bonnie. Near the end of the ride, the park snaps a photo. In her photo, she's smiling from ear to ear, while both Gramma and Great-Aunt Bonnie look terrified.

The next step up at Busch Gardens is the Scorpion. This roller coaster starts by taking you up a steep incline and dropping you into a 360 turn. I looked at it for a while before deciding she might be ready for that coaster.

I love roller coasters too, so I was quite happy to go on it. The downside was that if she didn't like it, she'd be up all night with bad dreams. I weighed my desire to go on the ride with my need for sleep and decided to go for it.

Most people cannot believe she could go on the ride at her age. I always reply that the requirements are based upon height, not age. And, I'm guessing that the roller coaster designers didn't anticipate 48 inch tall five-year-olds. Most kids are a bit older before they are as tall as our girls.

As we were waiting in line, she could hardly contain herself. She was giggly. When we sat down, she squealed. As we were going up the very steep incline, she looked at me and said, "Mom, let's put our hands in the air."

You already know she LOVED the drop, 360 turn and every other part of the ride. She's plotting ways to go on the bigger thrill rides already. Luckily, she's not quite tall enough for those. She might be ready, but I'm not sure I am.

No comments: