Thursday, March 5, 2009

We're Back to Cutting all the Food

When the girls were first starting to eat "real" food, we spent a lot of time before and during each meal making sure the girls' food was cut small enough for them to eat. As time went on, they were able to eat larger chunks without us worrying about them choking. Now that they are five, we'll give them a quarter of an apple to eat, rather than the little bite-sized pieces we would have fed them when they were two-years-old.

Suddenly, we're headed back to the days when they need their food cut up into little pieces. The brunette twin is waiting -- quite impatiently -- for both her top front teeth to fall out. She simply cannot bite anything with those wobbly teeth. The blond twin tells us her two bottom teeth are loose, so she complains about the pain when she tries to bite food.

It took us a while to realize what was going on. It's not like we don't eat with them every day. It's just that it's been a long, long time since either me or my husband were five-years-old and losing our teeth. We forgot how hard it is to bit into anything when your teeth are moving.

Next time you are ready to eat something, take a moment and try to bite a sandwich using only your side teeth. This is how we figured out that the brunette twin was having a hard time. She kept trying to bite food using only the teeth to the left or right of her front teeth. I was staring at her trying to figure out what she was doing. Finally, I asked her. I know, how basic. If you want to know the answer you have to ask the question. She explained that her she couldn't bite anything because her front teeth moved too much.

Now before we sit down to dinner, my husband and I spend some time cutting all their food into little bites. As I did it last night, I was having flashbacks to the days when we'd worry about whether or not the bites were small enough that the girls could eat without choking. I don't know how long this will last, but I have to admit it brings back fond memories.

1 comment:

Julie K said...

I've been eating apples and carrots with my side teeth for years (thanks to extensive dental work on my upper 6 front teeth). I do it so automatically, though, that I wouldn't have thought to suggest it to my son. Thanks for mentioning before his baby teeth start getting wobbly.