Sunday, March 1, 2009

It Only Seems Like a Kid's Show

Sometimes adult entertainment masquerades as a children's show. A girlfriend and I took our children to see "Schoolhouse Rock" yesterday. It wasn't until we were about half-way through the Schoolhouse Rock performance that I realized it was the ultimate grown-up show pretending to be a children's show. During the performance, audience participation was encouraged. Do you know who was singing? The parents, of course.

If you are not familiar with Schoolhouse Rock, it was a series of educational cartoons which aired in between the Saturday morning cartoons. Each one is a minute or two long. The heyday of the series was in the 1970's. There were four basic categories: America Rock, Grammar Rock, Science Rock, Multiplication Rock.

It would be hard to underestimate how many hundreds of thousands of students passed the high school U.S. Constitution test by singing the Preamble Song. Seriously, ask anyone all the words to the Preamble. If they are the right age, they'll start singing the Schoolhouse Rock song. When we all took the test at my high school, you could hear everyone humming it. We'd all stop writing when there was a pause in the song.

The same thing happened at this show. As soon as the cast started singing the Preamble Song, all the parents started laughing and singing. It was an unspoken joke between all of us.

Our girls love Schoolhouse Rock because Mommy loves it. The three of us sang all the songs. Since the show featured the "best of" we all heard songs we loved. The highlight for me was the last song. The cast sang "Mr. Morton," which is my favorite song. Yes, I'm a geek. I have a favorite Schoolhouse Rock song.

So, there we all sat with our children. If you looked into the theater, we were enjoying an educational production with our children. To the parents, though, we were reliving a fun memory from our childhood.

2 comments:

Julie K said...

That sounds like a blast... though I don’t recall Mr. Morton. I am myself torn between “I'm just a bill. Yes, I'm only a bill. And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.” and “Conjunction Junction, what’s your function?”.

Missy said...

Shows that are appealing to both kids and parents are always the best.

My husband teaches theater in a high school and has been considering that show. Sounds like a lot of fun!