Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Need a New Map

I need to thank the NCAA for helping me realize my current United States map is wrong. Last Sunday, when the NCAA brackets were announced, I realized I have been confused about where certain states are located.

As the brackets were being announced, I was excited that the University of Illinois was in the South Region. Since we're in the Midwest, this meant that all the games were going to start early and end early -- a bonus for someone like me who cannot stay up late anymore. I mean I used to be able to stay up late, but then the girls came along and started getting up at 6:15 a.m. every morning. Now, I'm nearly asleep on the couch by 9:00 p.m.

Anyway, as the brackets were being revealed, the announcer said, "The University of Illinois will play Thursday in Portland, Oregon." Now, we have been to Portland. It is a beautiful city in a beautiful state. We had a lovely visit.

Somehow, though, I always thought Portland, Oregon was in the Pacific Northwest part of the United States. I never realized it was in the South. Thankfully, the NCAA cleared it up for me. After all, if your team is playing in the South Region, this means the games are in the South, correct?

I'm glad we cleared this up before the girls started learning geography. After all, we cannot have them thinking that Oregon is out west when the NCAA clearly believes it is in the southern part of our country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Luckily, you have a GPS.