Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Finding Balance

Saturday was a wonderful afternoon. The girls and I spent time with friends at the Chicago History Museum. There is a great exhibit called "Chic Chicago." The dresses were fabulous, as were the stories. One of the dresses from 1861 cost more than $10,000 and required multiple trips to Paris for fittings. Can you imagine how much effort that was back in 1861? A train from Chicago to the Atlantic, followed by a ship ride across the ocean? Yikes!

The girls were great while we were with our friends -- cute, polite, adorable. After they left, I took the girls for a short walk before we drove home. This is when the real fun started. The blond twin whined the whole time. "I want to go home to see my Daddy." "My feet hurt." "How far are we going to walk?" After a quick stop at the bathroom, we were on the way home.

On the way home, just as we hit a place where this wasn't an option, the girls started whining, "I have to go to the bathroom." It started as a slow whine, but it escalated to a loud, high-pitched whine with each girl feeding off the other. An hour later we arrived home. I was so angry at that point that I could hardly look at either girl. I kicked off my shoes and yelled at them. It was not my finest hour as a mother. All I really wanted was to go away somewhere for some peace and quiet.

Monday I got my wish in a round about way. It's Spring Break and the girls spent the morning at a play date. I picked them up from one play date and took them to the library for a program. Another friend's Mom offered to watch them at the library so I could go home and work. (Yes, we have very, very nice friends.)

After I picked up the girls from the library, I had to leave to teach class. In the end, I spent about 1 hour with them all day. I have to say that I didn't like it much. I missed the girls terribly.

I know I sound a bit bratty. Really, I do know I sound like I don't know what I want. First I complain that I need some space and when I had some, I missed the girls. I think it's part of the effort to find some balance, isn't it. We all need to be together, but we all need some space. For me, though, I need some together time and some space in the same day. Too much in either direction puts it all off balance.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

I've had lots of those days... Its like, you can't live with them, and you can't live without them! ;)
By the way, I tagged you for a meme, at
http://littlebearsworld.typepad.com/1/2009/03/kids-product-review-wikki-stix.html Hope you don't mind!

Julie K said...

I think there's a study that shows seratonin (spelling?), the happy hormone, increases when a new mother sees/hears her happy baby. The levels are unaffected by her crying baby. I would guess it holds true for whining... I know I don't have any happy hormones flowing when my son whines.

Farozaan said...

So true.