Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Definitely Not an Oldie

I like the oldies station in Chicago. The songs are mostly from the beginning of rock 'n roll, say the 1950s and 1960s. The lyrics are pretty G-rated so I don't have to worry about the girls listening and those songs are singable. Pick any of the "girl group" songs and you can sing the words and do silly dances all you want. The Motown songs are great for that too.

When we were children, my parents always had the radio on. Our house was filled with music all the time. Many of the oldies bring back happy memories of my childhood. The current song has me reconsidering what I consider an oldies song.

Right now the oldies station is playing an Eddie Money song. My first thought was, "That is not an oldies song. I used to dance to that song in college."

Someone at the oldies station is definitely confused. Eddie Money is not an oldies artist. If he is, that means I'm old. While I feel old some days -- like when I am up all night with a sick child -- I am definitely not old. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

What is the oldies station you listen to? I used to love 104.3 until they rudely shut it down and turned it into JACK FM! I grew up listening and loving the oldies on 104.3, which my parents listened to. To me, "oldies" will ALWAYS be music from the 50's and 60's, maybe the early 70's... NOT the 80's!!!!!

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I was listening to a Classic Rock station and they were playing Queensryche.

I think the song was released in 1990.

How can that be classic?

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

I totally agree- its great to crank up the oldies and dance/sing with the kids and not worry about the lyric content.

Plus, with a lot of the new music these days, its not easy to sing along with the songs! lol