Monday, December 22, 2008

One is not enough

We now own two copies of the song "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas." It has nothing to do with our twin girls each wanting their own copy, and everything to do with Mommy not being able to find the first copy.

I know it is in our house. I saw it when we were unpacking the Christmas stuff. The problem is the girls saw it too. I promised them they could hear the song as soon as the Christmas stuff was all up and the boxes cleaned up.

And then it was gone. Not "gone" in the way some items are missing after I clean the playroom. I didn't toss it in the circular file or anything like that. It's gone in the "I have no idea where it went" way that happens when you unpack too many boxes at one time. I promised I would look for the CD, and I did. I searched every place it might be - twice. I still couldn't find it.

I heard that a local radio station included the song it its holiday CD. In a moment of weakness, my husband agreed to stop and buy the CD while he was running errands. Of course, in his normal world, he doesn't care how obnoxious a song is as he is away at work most of the day. Now, though, he's home until January 5. He will get to hear the song over and over and over again.

Now that loud singing you hear is our girls yelling, "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas." When they are done with the song, they fall down laughing. At least they recognize that the song is supposed to be funny, and not a shopping list for Mom and Dad.

2 comments:

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

I have never heard of that song before. Who sings it?

Currently my daughter really likes that Christmas song by the Chipmunks. Its cute the first dozen times but after that, I want to rip my ears off. lol

Nicki said...

LOL... You can never have too much of a good thing!!!
I wonder will they still want to listen to it even when CHristmas is over? Or will they move onto another song?