Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kiss My Math

Okay, I'll admit I'm taking advantage of my WIFI to work from the couch and watch TV. Let's just say I'm multi-tasking. When I turned on the TV, the Today Show was on. I'm not fussy about what is on as I just want some background noise and I'm tired of the radio. All the radio talk is about the snow storm we had last night. Shocking! It snowed in Chicago and now traffic is bad! Stop the presses! It's news -- or not for those of us who live here.

Anyway...Danica McKeller is wearing an adorable red dress, looking like a completely put together model and explaining the Distributive Property of math. No, I'm not kidding. She's talking about Kiss My Math, which is her ongoing effort to teach girls that math is cool. As she said (and I'm paraphrasing here), the best part of being a fabulous girl is being a smart girl.

Now I'm paying attention. I've read all the studies about how by 3rd grade girls start to zone out at school because they don't want to be seen as too smart. It's not cool. We know the girls are bright. It's not our assessment. It's something we hear from ever teacher they come in contact with in any setting. One of our challenges will be to keep them engaged and challenged.

I'm totally watching her explain math and wonder how we can transfer that love of math (and learning) to our girls. I'm also learning that I use math's distributive property to figure out how much I'm going to pay for multiple items. All this time I thought I was just too lazy to multiple 7 x $42. Now I learn there is a real math answer for the way my brain works.

The girls are too young to understand the book now, but I'm going to put Kiss My Math on the must buy list. It's probably a good book for me to read right now!

3 comments:

Jacque said...

I have two very smart girls...top 5% of their classes and I'm glad to say they never thought being smart was not cool. Or at least if they did, they didn't share it!

Nicki said...

Sounds really cool! Maybe I'll buy it too. I've always HATED math with a passion... but then in college I had to take math, and now for the first time I'm starting to really enjoy it. Its a little like doing puzzles, isn't it? Or untying knots, or something?

Michelle Hix said...

How totally cute is that book? I've never heard of it. Both my girls are good at math thanks to the hubby...he's a smarty pants!