Sunday, December 14, 2008

Finally in the mail

Christmas cards are much more difficult now that we have two beautiful daughters. Before the girls were born, I'd buy a few boxes of cards, write some notes, and pop the cards in the mail right after Thanksgiving. Friends and family told me we were always one of the first cards they received.

Now, everyone wants a picture of the girls. I totally get it because I love looking at pictures of everyone's children. I especially like the offbeat cards. A friend sent a photo of her family at Niagara Falls. They were wearing rain gear, so all you could see were their smiling faces. Well, the parents were smiling. Their son was making a "it's cold and wet and this is fun?" face. It was great.

The problem is getting one good picture of the two of them. I start saving photos early in the year. For this year's card, a photo from Easter was in the running. It's really hard to find a single photo where they both look good. Usually the blond twin is making a funny smile or tilting her head to the side. The brunette twin likes to make funny faces and close her eyes. I floated the idea of sending New Year's cards so we'd have more time to find a suitable photo. My husband looked at me like I was crazy. At the time it seemed like a great idea to me.

It's not like I want a stiff, formal portrait. I just want a photo where they look as cute as they are when I look at them. A big smile and the "I might be getting into trouble" look in the eyes is all I want.

We finally found a photo and had cards made. This weekend we put all the cards in the mail. Whew, done for this year! Now I can take a few weeks off before the hunt begins for next year's Christmas card photo.


8 comments:

Scary Mommy said...

Oh, the nearly impossible quest for the perfect Christmas Card photo. I started mine in August and still never got a decent picture! Glad yours are done! :)

Diane said...

I feel your pain. If my kids get too close together, someone is bound to get hurt. I don't even try. Everyone will get an individual picture of the each.

NAVAL LANGA said...

I have read some of your posts. I like your style of writing; and I would revisit for reading more literature from you.

If you like short stories and paintings, then a short visit to my blogs wold be an entertaining one.

Naval Langa

tashabud said...

Good for you, Shari. I usually include pictures of my kids in our Christmas cards, too, but I've gotten lazy lately. The advent of digital cameras also made me very lazy. I've just been emailing pictures now, which is not the same as receiving printed ones. Also, I still have to do the cards this week, arghh...

Tasha

Wendy said...

I have the same problem. I've got two boys and it never fails when one looks cute the other one looks not-quite-right. It's frustrating for everyone!

Julie K said...

I'm aiming for New Year's cards at this point (no clue what the picture will be yet), but I did get my package of presents out to my brother & his kids today!

Nicki said...

Oops, you just reminded me, I gotta send out Christmas cards! ANd I thought i was so cool because I almost had all my Christmas shopping done! AUGH!

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

Yeah we ended up not doing Christmas cards this year...well we did a few just to our relatives and such but we didn't order a bunch of picture cards and send them out to everyone in my address book like we usually do.

We couldn't seem to get a good professional picture of the kids together...and then I was going to take a picture of them myself in front of our tree but I kept forgetting and then it just got too late. Finally I went out a bought a box of cards and just wrote our names under the pre-printed greeting and gave them to my mother to disperse amongst the family when she flew home after her visit with us. lol