Monday, December 8, 2008

Falling through the cracks

We keep a crazy pace in our house -- as do most people who have children. I'm not truly complaining as we're both employed and that's a plus in this economy. We're blessed with two adorable girls and we're all healthy. Okay, we are all a bit congested and coughing, but that's a temporary annoyance, not truly an illness. The problem is that things are starting to fall through the cracks. I feel like everything gets done at the last minute and we're always sitting with a long to do list.

This weekend we were supposed to go to the Polar Express with friends. Weeks ago our tickets arrived and we made plans to go to dinner after the train ride. Saturday night I looked for the tickets. I'm pretty anal retentive about some things, so we always put all the tickets in the same place. Of course it was the first place I looked. No tickets.

I looked in the second place (aka the place the tickets should have been if I forgot to put them in the final spot). This is called the pile. The pile is where all the unread mail, cards, newspapers, school papers, etc. end up. Once or twice a week, we go through the pile. Saturday night I frantically searched the pile -- no tickets. I'm rummaged through every place where papers might hide. I cleaned out drawers, a junk bowl, drawers, etc. Still no tickets.

I realized that the tickets were gone. There was just one more place they might be -- in our mini-van. My husband had it, so I couldn't check immediately. I knew it was a long-shot, but I held out hope. Of course, you already know the tickets weren't there either.

Our only guess was that the ticket envelop was thrown out one night when we were going through the pile. It probably was stuck inside something else and went right into the recycling bin.

I had to call our friends to confess that I lost the tickets. They were upset, as you would imagine. I was equally upset, but for different reasons. First, I pride myself on being organized. People say, "How can you work from home and keep the girls at home too?" I always say we're organized and have lots of help. Second, and most importantly, I ruined a fun day for our girls and our friends. We try to limit the holiday activities and the Polar Express is a big deal for both families.

If I had looked for the tickets last Thursday or Friday, instead of 12 hours before the event, I could have called the event sponsor and begged to have the tickets replaced. I could have worked out some solution, but no one was in the office at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday night. I waited until the last minute and ruined the event.

Next week we're going to Breakfast with Santa. The good news is there are no tickets required for this event, so I cannot screw up the fun.

7 comments:

Marketing Mommy said...

It happens. Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm always losing stuff and I have to deal with my own frustration PLUS my husband's irritation.

NAVAL LANGA said...

To Ms. Shari Schmidt

I have just read two of your posts. I liked the simple language you use. I would like to revisit for reading more from you.

If you like short stories and paintings, then a short visit to my blogs would be a good idea.

Naval Langa

Jacque said...

That's a bummer. I've sure been there.

tashabud said...

Oh, Shari, that must have been an aweful, aweful feeling you had felt! I know, I would be. I'm sorry to hear about that.

I'm not the most organized person. I always have to look for some things that I've misplaced. Of course, it's always when hubby asks for the darn things.

I wish you all a great time with Santa.

Tasha

Nicki said...

Thats sort of ironic, isn't it, because in the movie version of "Polar Express" the little boy loses his ticket! According to the movie, the engineer should have then taken you to a private car and treated you to hot chocolate.

Stitching Mama said...

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I'm always losing stuff and can never find it when we need it.

Angela

Lydia said...

It's too bad you lost the tickets. Hope everyone's feeling better now?
Have a nice day,
Lydia