Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Twins Law Making an Impact

When I tell people that we're working in Illinois to create a Twins Law, they usually say, "why?" After I explain that too many principals and school districts treat the twin bond like it's a disease that needs to be cured, most people are surprised. There is also some shock that most school districts refuse to involve parents in the decision "to separate or not separate."

You'd think we've advanced enough to realize that a one-size fits all. paternalistic school system doesn't work. However, we haven't. Too many school districts want to dictate what is best for your child and expect you to follow blindly. Until you have twins, you do not realize how many school districts want to break the twin bond. It is like it's a disease. "They are too close." "They rely on each other." "She's better at math, which keeps her brother back."

You wouldn't have these conversations about two children who are one school year apart. If you had two children of different ages who were very close and relied on each other, people would say, "Aw, that's sweet." When it's twins they are talking about, it becomes something bad.

The article from The Lansing State Journal talks about the impact Twins Law is having on education. While I agree with much of the article, I am still frustrated by the educator at the end of the article who says, "In the end it should be the Principal's decision."

Clearly, we still have work to do.

5 comments:

Jacque said...

That infuriates me! Because someone actually thought in their mind the principal knows your children better than you? And then decided to print it?!? My BFF's twins are in separate kinder classes and it is so hard for her. They have different stories they have to read, different site words to memorize, basically separate homework every night. Her daughter definitely has more anxiety when she is not with her brother. They clearly would have been better off together, but it is not 'school policy' and yes we're in Illinois. Unless there is some proven documented reason why twins should not be together, due to the effect on their education, not because of anyone's opinion ...it should be up to the parent.

Stitching Mama said...

I def think it's the parents decision and not the princial or schools.

It has gotten where the school system thinks that they know what's best for our children instead of us.

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Oh, I'm wondering how old your twins are!?

Obviously, I really want to have a say in what happens with my twins' education... I hope it isn't an issues here in GA, but I really don't know yet.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm wondering how you found me?

Nicki said...

I agree with you, and would totally support the Twins Law. Its disappointing that they think it should be up to the principal. It should be up to the PARENTS! Always!

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. I knew that they often would recommend separating them, but I didn't know they could MAKE the kids be in separate classes, regardless of the parents' feelings on the matter. That completely sucks!