Saturday, November 15, 2008

On Simplicity

I am completely enamored with a blog I found called "On Simplicity." It is like positive reinforcement for my desire to slow down and enjoy life. I love today's post about "What’s Playful About Simplicity? Simplicity Gives You More Time for the Things that Matter." It talks about everything from reducing clutter so you do have to spend so much time taking care of everything to reasons why fewer toys help children be more creative.

Since I signed up for the feed, it shows up in my email box like a comforting reminder that it's okay not to be on every committee, not to watch every 'hot" TV show and not to take on every problem in the world as my own. Being scheduled every moment of every day is not a life, it's insanity. It reminds me that the best things in life require less stuff and more focused time.

When the girls grow up, I hope they will remember that we hiked Starved Rock, spent time watching cousins play baseball and hockey, hung out in the backyard with friends, and invited everyone over for whatever party excuse we could invent.

Here's the basic rule she lives by "If something doesn’t make me excited to be alive, then it’s not worth doing." I think it's a rule worth remembering for myself and a rule to teach the girls.

1 comment:

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

I'll have to check that out.

Ever since I re-organized my house over the weekend, I've felt so much better. It really does improve your life to have less clutter everywhere...at least it does for me! And I've also realized the benefit of 'less toys' for my kiddos too. I had all their toys out in their room for them...and realized that they were overwhelmed by it all....so we re-organized one size of their closet to accommodate toys. I looked through everything, pulled out what I've noticed them playing with the most recently, and then put everything else into organized containers in the closet.

This way, their room is much less cluttered, the can focus better on the stuff they are really interested in at the moment, and when they get tired of the current playthings, I can reach into the closet and pull out old "forgotten" toys and give them renewed playtime joy.