Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'd rather be sleeping

Maybe it's because I still don't get enough sleep -- just last night the girls kept waking my up for different reasons -- but I need someone to explain why stores are opening at 4:00 a.m. the Friday after Thanksgiving. One local outlet mall is opening at midnight. I know I'm supposed to be excited, but I just don't understand it.

Does anyone really need to be Christmas shopping at 2:30 a.m.? (And, yes, we're Christmas shopping. Trust me when I say that my Jewish college roommate isn't in that mess bargain shopping for Hanukkah gifts.) Is it really more exciting to be shopping for Christmas presents in the middle of the night?

Today I was listening to the radio when I heard a story about a group of people who were lined up outside an electronics store for a week. They were camping, taking turns holding the places in line. The reporter said, "What do you hope to buy?" The camper said "We haven't seen the sale paper yet, so we don't know what is on sale." I know some people think that's cool, but I wondered what kind of people line up for a week when they don't know what's on sale. Do they have jobs? Families? Lives?

There isn't anything I am camping outside a store to buy. Even if I decided to wait in line for something, I promise I'm not getting into line at 2:30 a.m. So, if you're going to be out at 3:00 a.m. Friday morning, enjoy. Me? I hope to be sleeping then.

4 comments:

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

How stupid/crazy were those people who lined up for something they were clueless about?! People are weird.

I hear ya about being nice and warm in bed at 3am. Although I am thankful that my father and sister are two of those insane people who wait in Black Friday lines.

Last year, my father gave me my laptop as a Xmas present. He waited in one of those long horrible lines just to get me a new laptop without having to pay through the nose for it. (Its THOSE type of stories that make me see why some people brave the lines.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Missy said...

I love to shop, but I love my sleep more. My motto for Black Friday shopping, "if it ain't there at 10:00 AM then I don't need it."

Nicki said...

LOL... I'm kinda one of those people! Me and my mom have a tradition of getting up early on Friday and hitting the Black Friday sales! She used to do it with her friends when I was little, and now she does it with me, so its kind of cool for me to have that. But we keep it low key. We don't wait in lines or anything. We'd DEFINITELY never camp out! Its more like something fun and crazy we do together every year. But we do find some great bargains!

tashabud said...

Hi Shari,
I worked Thursday night, so I didn't get to do it. I never went before even when I was home. Hubby, for the first time, went to Sears to buy some tools at 50% off. They're for our son for Christmas. I went later after work. It was still real packed and crazy. I got home at 3 p.m. I crashed at 3:30 until 10:00 p.m. It was great to be able to sleep that long uninterrupted. Good thing you stayed in bed.

Tasha