Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Resistance is futile

My husband and I are pretty healthy. We eat lots of fruits and veggies, exercise, sleep well, and take all our vitamins. The doctor's are pretty happy with our overall health. You'd think we would have really strong resistances to germs. Yet in the past few years, we've been sick more than ever. Why? We have preschool-age twins.

When our twin girls started preschool, several people said that the girls would catch everything until their resistance was built up a bit. They didn't tell me that we'd also be sick. It's not like we're in bed with an ice bag on our heads, but I feel like one of us always has something -- and it usually comes from the blond twin.

I don't know why, but the blond twin tends to start the illness cycle in our house. We have a few theories on this, even though we haven't been able to act on them yet. I do know that she's the root of our latest plague. It's a nasty cough that hangs on and on and on. She had it and sweetly shared it with me and her twin. I spread it to my husband. Now the girls are better, and the adults are hacking away.

One of my students laughed at me last night when I started coughing. He said, "Oh yeah, you have small children." I asked if it was better when the children were a little bit older. His reply, "The kids still catch everything, but at least they stop coughing in your face."

Oh well, at least there's that to look forward to.

4 comments:

Julie K said...

I'm just getting over this cough as well... my son spiked a 103 degree fever one day then was fine. I caught whatever it was, but mine as been a two week ordeal (blowing my nose and chest congestion). My husband kicked me out to the guest room since my 'hacking up a lung' was keeping him awake at night... this move has kept him relatively healthy (this time around).

We wash hands a lot and my son is pretty good about coughing into his elbow (so as not to share germs)... somehow I still get sick.

Jacque said...

Since I am a preschool director, my kids had everything under the sun when they were little. However at 10 years old...my daughter's pediatrician asked me if she was seeing another Dr. cuz according to his records she hadn't been seen in 3.5 years. I said, Nope, we only see you...she just never gets sick :) Yes there is light at the end of the tunnel. Now if I could just get them to quit breaking bones!

Although I don't have twins, I did have 3 babies in 3 years, so for sure when one got it...we alla got it!

Farozaan said...

Hi

I am really addicted to ur blog. I too have twin girls, now 3 years and 3 months old. AND they are also when blond and when brunette.
And when i read that ur blond one is always the first to catch cold and flu and other common ailments ai was amazed as my blond one is also the same. But the good thing is my other twin is pretty strong and so I am..... so we dont catch anything from her. But her father surely does.
Now i have started thinking that therez some connection between being a blond and catching colds...;)

Ur blog is awesome..... its like ur writing my heart felt emotions and thinking.

Shari Schmidt said...

Farozaan:

Thank you so much for the kind comment! I am glad you enjoy the blog. Those of us with twins need to stick together!